The instructions below include general discharge information for our patients.
As always, please follow specific instructions as given to you by your doctor following any procedure.
KEEP YOUR HAND ELEVATED AT ALL TIMES:
HAND HIGHER THAN ELBOW, ELBOW HIGHER THAN SHOULDER.
1. Elevation reduces swelling which reduces pain, stiffness & risk of infection.
2. Adequate and appropriate elevation of the extremity requires that the hand be held above the elbow and the elbow above the shoulder AT ALL TIMES when feasible.
3. DO NOT remove your post-operative dressing unless specifically directed to do so.
4. A small amount of bleeding through the dressing is expected. If the dressing becomes saturated with
blood, call the office for further instructions: (214) 823-5351.
5. Keep the dressing clean and dry. You may cover with plastic bag and tape for watertight seal when
6. If you are given prescription medications, take them only as prescribed.
7. If you have fever 101 degrees Fahrenheit, excessive vomiting, excessive bleeding, unusual reaction to
medications, pain not relieved by elevation, rest and pain medicines, or any worrisome changes of the
extremity, please call the office at (214) 823-5351.
8. DO NOT drive, drink alcohol or use other controlled substances, make any important decisions, operate
heavy machinery or hazardous equipment for at least 24 hours after surgery or while still taking
prescription/narcotic pain medication.
9. Please call the office at (214) 823-5351 to confirm or schedule your follow up appointment within the first
few days after your operation.
10. You may receive a questionnaire/survey by mail regarding your experience at the hospital/surgery center.
Your opinions are very important to us.