DR. PAUL ELLIS, M.D.
Dr Ellis is a native Texan. He was born in Sherman and raised in Dallas. After graduating from Hillcrest High School, he attended the University of Texas at Austin and majored in Psychology. He then attended Southern Methodist University School of Law and obtained a law degree (J.D.) in 1977. During his third year of law school, Dr. Ellis recognized his true passion and desire to be a physician and set forth his plan to graduate from law school, take the bar, and complete the required college courses for medical school. He was accepted into Southwestern Medical School in 1978 and graduated receiving his medical degree in 1982.
Dr. Ellis completed a five-year orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of South Florida affiliated hospitals in Tampa, Florida in 1987. He then began his 18-month fellowship in hand and upper extremity surgery at the Christine Kleinert Institute in Louisville, Kentucky.
Dr. Ellis was promoted to senior fellow after nine months with a faculty position at University Hospital. After completing his fellowship in 1989, he joined Lankford Hand Surgery Association at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He served as Chief of the Hand Service at the VA Hospital in Dallas where he worked with the Southwestern orthopaedic residents from 1993 until 2007. He has served as a Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical School. Dr. Ellis enjoys all aspects of upper extremity surgery and has particular interest in nerve compression syndromes, arthritis, tumors, Dupuytren's contracture and tendon reconstruction.
He is a member of the following medical organizations:
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Orthopaedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- D Magazine Best Doctors 2001-2010
- "One of Texas Top Doctors" 2009, 2010 (Castle Connolly)
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition 2010
- Patients Choice Award 2010
- Health Grades Honor Roll
- Outstanding Faculty Award UT Southwestern, Department Of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2002